The Lagos State Electricity Board (LSEB) was established by law No. 15 of 5th July 1980 of the state house of assembly gazette No. 53 vol. 13 of 24th July 1980 to perform several functions which include:
- To establish in-state electric power stations.
- To generate, transmit and, distribute electricity to areas not covered by the national grid system within Lagos.
- To control and manage any electrical installation vested in the Board under the provision of this law.
- To establish, control, manage, extend and, develop new electrical networks as well as develop or extend existing ones as the Board deems necessary for the purpose of accomplishing its mission.
- To supply electricity and promote economically efficient and uninterrupted electricity generation, distribution and supply of power.